Easy Garlic Butter Prawns
It has been “winter” in Mumbai and after the long and seafood-deprived monsoons and unbearably hot October, good quality seafood is finally back in the markets since November. My fisherwoman comes knocking every other day with glistening pomfrets, pink prawns, and slimy Bombay ducks. Avanee and I are tempted (and usually yield to temptation) at the very sound of her doorbell. I thought I should make a seafood post here before the season disappears and it is hot again!
With produce as fresh as that, you want to do something very minimal to it. Why douse those clean, fresh flavors of the sea in the overbearing masalas and slave over the stove for any longer than you need to? One of my favorite things to do with the prawns is a quick stir-fry in loads of butter and garlic. It makes for an excellent side, and is whipped up in minutes. Here’s the recipe:
- 1 large cup of prawns, shelled and deviened (you can keep the tails on if you like)
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 6-7 garlic cloves, bruised and chopped fine
- a small handful of flat leaf parsley, chopped
- Salt to taste
- Cracked black pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp. butter
- In a mixing bowl, place the prawns, salt, pepper, and garlic and mix. Leave aside for 5-10 minutes.
- Heat the butter in a wok and add the marinated prawns. Toss and stir until cooked–about 4-5 minutes (lesser if you’re using smaller prawns).
- Add the chopped parsley and serve immediately.
Other stuff I’ve been doing:
Making dark chocolate cupcakes with edible gold glitter for a wedding in the family.
Lemon and Vanilla Mehendi Cake with White chocolate ganache and Dark chocolate detail. Also for the wedding (suffered a few injuries in transit)
Making chunky Orange and Gondhoraj lemon Marmalade
And loads and loads of jam! Here: Black Raspberry and Strawberry Jam, Gooseberry and Ginger jam, and Strawberry jam.
Oh, and I’m hoping to be more regular with the blogging, so see you again, tomorrow!