Eggless Vanilla Cake with Grandma’s Plum Jam
The ever-so-kind gadget guru dad has gifted me a brand new, kickass camera. The Canon 500D. Everything I wanted and more. The obsession with photography is genetic—but from the time I started writing this mostly-food blog, I realized that my pictures were wanting. Not now! Well, I’ve started experimenting, at least!
In celebration of the said newly acquired, super expensive gadget, I wanted to bake a warm, simple, moist vanilla cake. But in my grandmother’s strictly vegetarian kitchen, eggs are taboo. But a cake had to be had. With next-to-nil experience in baking eggless cakes, I didn’t know where to start. But start I did, and this is what I ended up with:
I tweaked a basic pound cake recipe and replaced the eggs with milk powder and natural yogurt. You’ll have to make this yourself to believe how wonderfully real this cake turns out—unlike the hard or dry eggless cakes you may have eaten before.
My gran makes the best jams and jellies in the world. If life gives her a fruit, she turns it into a jam. She can make a mean papaya jam, if you imagine such a thing. Plums are in season, and a jar of her freshest plum jam was at an arm’s length. A couple of spoonfuls of that got transformed into the cake topping—a nice and tart contrast to the semisweet, plain cake. Here’s the recipe:
- 1½ cup of plain flour
- 1½ cup of milk powder
- 1 cup melted butter
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- ¾ of a cup of natural yogurt
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp. bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tbsp. jam of choice (I used plum)
- A squirt of lemon juice
- 1 tsp. sugar
- Preheat the oven to 15 degrees centigrade.
- Grease about a 7 inch round tin with butter and line with parchment or greaseproof paper.
- Mix all the ingredients up until you have a smooth batter.
- Pour into the tin and bake until a skewer comes out clean. About 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the jam, lemon juice and a little sugar in a pan until glossy and easy to spread.
- Pour over a warm, upturned cake.
- Serve warm or cold with or without cream/ice-cream. Ideal with coffee.