Recipe video: 1 Bowl Chocolate Orange Cake
This is a perfect cake or those sudden cake and chocolate cravings. It is a lovely moist cake with the aromas of orange coming through in the avatars of marmalade and orange zest, complimenting the smooth dark chocolate ganache beautifully. Make the cake on a lazy afternoon or just an hour before your impromptu party, and bask in the glory of the oohing and aahing of your guests.
1 Bowl Chocolate and Orange Cake
- 180 gms. flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 80 gms. cocoa
- 180 gms. brown sugar (I used demerara)
- 200 gms. butter
- 4 eggs
- 2 tbsp. orange marmalade
- Zest of 1 orange, chopped julienne
- Juice of 1 orange, freshly squeezed
- 100 gms. good quality dark chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup cream
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar until creamy.
- Add the eggs and beat again until smooth and frothy.
- Add the marmalade and beat again, very briefly, just to combine.
- Sieve in the flour, baking powder, and cocoa. Fold in light movements.
- Add the orange juice to adjust the consistency. The batter should be thick but easy to pour.
- Pour into a greased and lined baking tin of choice. (I used an 8-inch round, loose-bottomed tin) and bake in a pre-heated oven at 180 degrees centigrade for about 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Invert the cake onto a serving dish and leave to cool.
- Meanwhile, melt the chocolate in a microwave or on a double boiler. Add the cream and mix to obtain a smooth and glossy ganache.
- Pour over the cooled cake and spread in a deliberate haphazard fashion to show off the sensual curves of the ganache. Allow the ganache to drip along the sides of the cake.
- Decorate with orange zest julienne.