Recipe video: How to make Calzone
It’s been a while since I posted a recipe video. A few days ago, we finally got down to shooting a casual one as we cooked up an evening snack. Calzones. Folded pizzas. Take a look!
This simple dish is quickly becoming the family’s favorite for a lazy Sunday brunch because it’s a nice alternative to pizzas, and the way I do it, they’re no stress at all. I’ve shot for a veggie version here but you could just as well use shredded chicken or leftover lamb or even leaftover curry! Here’s the recipe:
Ingredients for the dough:
- 1 and 1/2 tbsp. instant or fresh yeast
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1 cup lukewarm water (more, as needed)
- 3 cups plain flour
- 1 tbsp. salt
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
Ingredients for the stuffing:
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped roughly
- 2 onions, chopped roughly
- 3 bell peppers, cubed
- 3 tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp. chili flakes
- 2 tbsp. tomato ketchup
- 6-8 basil leaves, torn
- 1 cup cheese (I used a mixture of mozzarella and aged cheddar), grated
- 1 egg, beaten (optional)
- To make the dough, mix the yeast, sugar and lukewarm water together and leave to rest in a warm spot for 10 minutes until the yeast froths up.
- Place the flour in a mixing bowl and add the yeast mixture. Knead to a soft dough.
- Now add the olive oil and knead until you have a silky and soft dough. Cover and leave covered in a warm spot until double in size.
- Meanwhile, make the stuffing. Heat 1 tbsp. olive oil in a pan and add the garlic and onions. Saute until translucent.
- Add the peppers and saute until slightly softened. Tip in the tomatoes and add salt and chili flakes. Spoon in the tomato ketchup and mix well. Cook for two minutes until combined.
- Tear in some basil leaves and stir to finish. Turn off the heat.
- Divide the dough into eight equal balls. Flatten each ball onto a floured working surface and roll out into circles about 7-8 inches in diameter.
- Spoon in some of the mixture (about 2 tbsp. ) on one half of the circle. Sprinkle some grated cheese on top and fold over.
- Using a fork, seal the edges.
- Brush with beaten egg, if using.
- Transfer to a baking sheet and bake at 200 degree centigrade for 10-12 minutes or until golden.
- Serve hot!